Getting into the swing of Morro de Sao Paulo

We walked from Bahia Café to the Lacerda and paid 15 cents to catch the lift down to the bottom. On the bottom floor, we exited and walked across to the marina. At 9am we caught the catamaran from Salvador to Morro de Sao Paulo, we had been warned that it could be bumpy and most people got sick, so we popped some sea sickness tablets, which was a great idea.

On arrival at Morro de Sao Paulo we were treated by wheel burrow taxis, this was because there are no vehicles allowed due to the streets being too small and narrow. We paid a fee of R$15 each to enter the island and another R$15 to the wheel burrow taxi guy who helped us transport our gear to the nearest camping site.

We had decided to camp for the first night, because that is what we had planned in South Africa. What we didn’t realize that the combination of the rain, the heat and our tent would make for a sweat factory inside the tent. During the day we walked around the island, because we couldn’t bare the thought of sitting in the tent.

The rain came and went, while walking along a path it start pouring down, we were invited into a house that sold food and beer aka cerveja. The lady running the restaurant didn’t speak a word of English, so we used the phrases in the back of the Brazil Lonely Planet book to piece together some dialogue. We ordered a meet dish and about 4 big beers while waiting for the rain to die down. A local guy popped in called Luiz, he spoke some English. Luiz explained that we had walked through the non tourist part of the island and that we had picked a local restaurant. Barbs and I prefer experiencing the local vibes, so it was a perfect way to spend the afternoon.

We walked down towards the beach after lunch to do some more exploration and grab a coffee. The rain started up again and we were forced to buy an umbrella for the journey back to the campsite. It was still raining when we got back to the tent, so we waited for the rain to subside inside our hot tent.

We didn’t last too long in the tent before heading out for some dinner at a local tourist restaurant. We had yet another incredible steak dish, the meat in Brazil was mind blowing! With full bellies and a cloudy night sky above we decided to go and sleep before going out to Toca night club. The club only opened at 12am that night, so we decided to get 4 hours sleeps before going out.

Toca seemed to be the only night club open in Morro de Sao Paulo, so when we arrived we saw that most party people on the island were at Toca. The music was not to bad when we arrived, the DJ was playing bands like Killers, U2, Depeche Mode all with an electronic mix ontop. The drinks were quite pricy, so we paced ourselves.

I saw a number of people we had met on the boat over, so that made for an entertaining night. Barbs and I did some people watching, as the night progressed, the music changed, mostly it was badly mixed, but sometimes the DJ played more Brazilian style music, this meant the local people danced their style, was awesome to watch.

In the morning we went for a long walk along the beach scouting for places to go over the next few days. We found the perfect hammock and chill spot along a quiet beach with trees that provided shade, we would definitely return to this spot!

While walking back to the campsite we bumped into Luiz, who we had met the day before. He offered to help us find a Pousada called Papagai, because we couldn’t stay in the tent any longer. We found the perfect little room with aircon, shower, toilet and comfy bed, which would be our home for the next 6days. The cost for 6 nights with breakfast included was only R$585, which was only marginally higher than camping if you consider the breakfast that was included.

We could finally relax, we had a place to stay, we had scoped out the island and we had some awesome plans for the next few days of beach life.

Published by

LightSpeed WordPress Development

Traveller, extreme sports fanatic, entrepreneur, trance head and WordPress / Open Source geek.